Cruise Berth update: Main wharf piling complete
Channel DeepeningMaintenance DredgingReclamation

The construction of New Zealand’s first purpose-built cruise berth has reached a major milestone, with piling for the main wharf deck now complete.

LPC Engineering Project Manager Paul Kelly says the last three piles for the wharf deck were successfully driven last week.  A total of almost 4 kilometres of piles were driven as part of this section of the project.

A small amount of both marine and land-based piling will continue in early 2020.

All operations on the site, including piling, will shut down after this Friday, December 20. Work will resume on Monday, January 6, 2020.

“In the new year there are 18 shorter piles to be installed on land that will form part of the wharf anchor structures, and we will also be driving two piles for a lines handling platform that will be installed near the Eastern mole,” says Paul.

Construction of the main wharf deck is also progressing well, with five concrete pours out of 12 completed to date.

The cruise berth project remains on track to be completed by November 2020, with over 70 bookings confirmed for this first season.

To keep an eye on the weekly piling schedule in 2020, click here. The daily piling schedule can be found on the homepage of Harbourwatch.

Subscribe for the latest Port news